So I realize that it might be a little late to be talking about Christmas cookies, seeing as how Christmas was 3 days ago, but better late than never, right?
To continue with my new found love affair for different types of Hershey's Kisses, I pleasantly happened across Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses during a trip to my local Loblaw's grocery store in early December. For those of you who haven't tried them, they are kinda peppermint-y and not too sweet.
Here's the thing...I love Peppermint Mocha's from Starbucks. They give you that morning boost that is desperately required (because I am a procrastinator) on those December mornings when there is just not enough hours in the day to get ready for the holiday season (probably because of all the sugar that's in one of them, but that's a minor detail).
This is where the inspiration for these cookies came from - and how Candy Cane Hershey's Kiss Chocolate Cookies were created. (I really need to work on shortening the names of the cookies I come up with)...I figured that a peppermint-y Hershey's Kiss embedded in a chewy chocolate cookie can only mean good things...
I modified a recipe for chewy chocolate cookies which I have been using for years...I have no idea where it came from as it was one of those recipes which started off as hand-written on a piece of paper...and added some peppermint extract, just to tie the peppermint flavour into the cookie...and then pressed a Candy Cane Hershey's Kiss into the middle of the cookie once it was baked...
As I did with the Pumpkin Spiced Hershey's Kiss cookies, I baked these cookies in a mini muffin pan so they would retain a better shape when the Candy Cane Hershey's Kiss was placed in the middle.
Here we go....
Candy Cane Hershey's Kiss Chocolate Cookies
(approx. 5 dozen cookies)
1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp peppermint extract
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped
(1) Place unwrapped Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses in freezer (this ensures that they retain their 'Hershey's Kiss shape')
(2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
(3) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside
(4) With an electric mixer, on medium speed, cream together butter, sugar, eggs , vanilla and peppermint extract until lightened in colour
(5) Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in dry ingredients until thoroughly combined
(6) (this is where it gets a little messy) Using two spoons, drop approx. 1/2 tablespoon of dough into a non-stick mini muffin pan (I only have one mini muffin pan, so I bake these one pan at a time until the dough runs out, but if you have more than one pan, feel free to do more)
(7) Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are firm (do not over-bake, otherwise cookies won't be chewy)
(8) Take Hershey's Kisses out of freezer; Remove baking pan from oven, immediately press Hershey's Kiss in middle of cookie
FYI - This cookie is especially good with a cup of hot cocoa....