Image Map

Friday, January 11, 2013

Billionaire's Bacon


Have I got a recipe for you….something to start off 2013 right…..Billionaire’s Bacon


If I wasn't addicted to bacon before, I am totally and completely 100% addicted now (and yes, I am going to my Physician in a couple of months to get my cholesterol levels checked).

There is a reason it’s called ‘Billionaires Bacon’…It’s bacon-y, brown sugar-y gold .  GOLD!

It’s perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack…birthday/Christmas presents…..the big game.....bribing your boss for a raise (yes, I dare say it’s that good).  And it’s super simple to make. 

Couple of things…
-Get a medium-thickness bacon for this recipe….you don’t need a thick thick cut (yes, I used the word ‘thick’ twice), but the thin stuff will melt away and you’ll end up with brown sugar jerky.  Something in-between the thick and thin should work.
-Maple or smoke flavour (natural or otherwise) bacon makes the Billionaire's bacon better. 





Billionaires Bacon
I got this recipe from people over at Saveur.  I love that magazine. 

Ingredients:
1 pound Bacon (as above, a medium cut is best)  
to 1 ½ cups Brown Sugar 

Directions:
(1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees
-the good news here is that the bacon will not splatter when it’s cooking in the oven. 
(2) Line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper
                -if you don’t line the baking tray with parchment, clean-up will be miserable as the bacon-sugar by-product will solidify
(3)  Put the brown sugar in a wide dish
                -a plate will work as well.  You are going to be coating the bacon with sugar so something that is big enough to do that.

(4) Coat both sides of the bacon with brown sugar. 
                -press each side of the bacon into the brown sugar
                -don’t worry if every inch of the bacon is not complete covered in sugar... as it melts, the sugar granules will spread.  A firm press on each side should do the trick.

(5) Bake in preheated oven
(6) Turn over after 10 minutes and cook 10 minutes more
Mmmmm...bacon...
                -I usually end up cooking it for a total of 25 minutes, but this is dependent on how thick your bacon is and how crispy you like it.
                -the longer you keep it in the oven, the more chance that the sugar will burn, so keep an eye on it after 20 minutes...
Notice in the top right corner of this picture that the sugar is starting to burn.....
(7) When you take it out of the oven, let sit for a minute then remove to a plate to completely cool
(8) After about 5 minutes the sugar will harden and it will be ready to serve.  
                -remember, if when it cools down the bacon it not crispy or firm enough, keep it in the oven for longer next time...(just remember to watch for burning sugar) 


This is probably the most unhealthy thing I've ever made, so I’m not even going to bother putting in the nutritional values. 

Happy Cooking!!!

14 comments:

  1. That sounds delish!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks insanely good. Although I'm not sure "brown sugar bacon jerky" is a bad idea, necessarily :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious!! thanks for sharing
    b-e-a-u-t-y-t-u-t-o-r.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm not usually a fan of bacon (am a huge fan of pork belly for its fat) but this certainly sounds delicious and worthy of a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very delicious. I try this recipe tomorrow. Today I have a lot of work. My boss watching me, so I'm not bored in work ;) Maybe I should change my office job? If I was a chef I might cook at work and nobody complaint :) Thanks for this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Gosh!!!!!! I am obsessed with bacon! When I was in middle school I went to sleep at my best friends house and when my mom picked me up the next morning my friends mother said " Adrienne at an entire pound of bacon for breakfast this morning" haha. In love!
    Yum!
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a cute little blog!

    happymedley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must try this recipe. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is really interesting, I hope everybody lick this Post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your post very much i had nice time while reading your post.

    ReplyDelete