I have a little munchkin in my life who can't have dairy. Now, I imagine that it’s hard to avoid dairy when you have a kid, considering all of the ready made foods and snacks out there that kids love which contain dairy....and I knew I would be seeing his mama so I thought I would send these along with her for him to try - Dairy Free Berry cupcakes. Fresh berries are in abundance at this time of year in Ontario, which is perfect for this recipe.....
Dairy Free Berry Cupcakes
(Adapted from 500 cupcakes)
2 1/2 cups mixed fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, blackberries - I used blueberries, and strawberries)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 lightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup mixed berry jam
(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
(2) Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners
(3) In a food processor, puree 1 1/2 cups of the berries until smooth
(5) In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder; set aside
(6) In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, oil, vanilla and almond extract
(7) Add the puréed berries to the wet ingredients
(8) With a spatula, fold in the dry ingredients
(9) Fold in the remaining diced berries
(10) Spoon the batter into the cups
-I put about a heaping 1/4 cup of batter in each cupcake cup...they will rise a bit as they are baking...
(11) Top each cupcake with a teaspoon of jam
(13) Remove pan from oven and cool for 5 minutes
WW points 5
Optional - If you are not too concerned about your sodium intake, I put a couple of large salt crystals on top of the strawberry jam (prior to baking) to add to the flavour dimensions...
There are a couple of yummy alternatives to the berries:
Peach and berry cupcakes
-substitute 1 1/2 cups canned peaches - puréed, for 1 1/2 cups of the mixed puréed berries
Apple and berry cupcakes
-substitute 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce for 1 1/2 cups of the mixed puréed berries
-I haven't tried this version - but when I do I might add some cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg....